Lil D recently revealed that she’d like to be a vet when she grows up, or as she really said, she’d like to work at Pets at Home, but the teacher encouraged her to think bigger. Animals (and dance) are her passion and we’re all for following your dreams.
When I was younger I knew what my dream job was…to work in a library, but somehow or other I got sidetracked (by retail, then banking, then the civil service, then teaching…it was quite a big sidetrack). Until I came back to libraries, and found a job that puts a smile on my face- and surely that’s the dream.
So why is working in a library so awesome?
- you get to pretend to know everything. Which I’ve always been good at.
- you have stories you just don’t get in other places. Like the time we took the Christmas tree out of the cupboard and a bat swooped out with it; or when a student claimed to have returned books only to find them in their laundry basket the next day.
- sometimes you’re a mind reader: ‘a black book with a picture on front?’ You must mean Research Methods in Education. Yes. We are that good.
- you get to say shhh (though less than you’d think- we officially have whisper zones).
- you get to work with some of the funniest, smartest people in the world. Librarianship is a profession- you work hard to prove that you are more than a checkout assistant sometimes, but we know that we are. And we tell each other that often! Every person I work with is a ‘character’, good and bad sometimes, but always interesting. Serial job appliers, constant travellers, stern phone answerers, bakers, and a strangely high proportion of history graduates.
- every day you work with thousands of books. It’s a book lover’s dream. You can tell the people you love that you can get them that book that answers their questions (sometimes you can even deliver on that promise)
- you can amaze people with your technological skills- computers, printers, wifi, any of it, I’m an expert (remember when I said you get to pretend to know everything?)
- sometimes, if you squint, you can imagine you are in the library from Beauty and the Beast…I did say sometime…squint harder!
- you provide a service to people who need it, more than books- guidance in a world of referencing, online journals, youtube videos, and they tend to be grateful.
So follow your dreams Lil D. Maybe a dancing vet who moonlights at a pet store?